Chiefs recognise and celebrate the importance of a good kitchen porter for helping the kitchen run smoothly and that no matter how hot the chef may be, if there are no clean pans nothing is going to get cooked.
Here's a look at the main duties involved:
- Ensure basic cleaning jobs are carried out as quickly as possible.
- Collect and wash up pots and pans.
- Clean food preparation areas and equipment, in addition to crockery and cutlery.
- Unload food and equipment deliveries.
- Keep the storeroom organised.
- Keep work surfaces, walls and floors clean and sanitised.
In addition to keeping the kitchen sparkling clean, kitchen porters can be involved in food preparation.
If you are in a top-class restaurant, then don't expect more than peeling potatoes or unwrapping ingredients. However, smaller kitchens might task kitchen porters with preparing salads or some desserts.